Need advice on whether you should register for VAT?
VAT registration is mandatory for many businesses and more and more businesses are voluntarily registering.
Here at PW John & Co accountants in Weston-super-Mare we offer a full advisory and registration service and have helped 100’s of companies to register for VAT over the last 40 years.
We will work with you to determine which VAT scheme would be most suitable for your business and complete the registration for you.
Do I need to register for VAT?
If your businesses turnover in the last 12 months is greater than the VAT registration threshold (currently £85,000) it is mandatory that you register for VAT. If you expect your turnover to exceed the VAT registration threshold in the next 30 days you must also register for VAT.
The current VAT threshold is £85,000 (May 2022). However it’s important to understand that this figure is subject to change and has risen steadily over the last 15 years.
You must also register for VAT, regardless of your annual turnover, if both you and your business are based outside of the UK and you supply any goods or services to the UK.
Voluntary VAT registration
Many businesses choose to register for VAT on a voluntary basis before they are legally required to do so.
There are many reasons why businesses decide to register for VAT. We will discuss some of them below;
What are the benefits of registering for VAT?
Whether compulsory or voluntary, VAT registration offers many benefits;
- VAT can be reclaimed on most goods or services purchased from other VAT registered businesses.
- If your customers are also VAT registered businesses, they will be able to reclaim the VAT you charge on goods or services to them. Your prices will still be competitive.
- Small businesses can appear much larger and more established – customers, investors and suppliers will assume that your turnover is in excess of the VAT registration threshold.
- If you anticipate your annual turnover reaching the VAT registration threshold you may find it beneficial to register for VAT voluntarily to avoid unnecessary stress or pressure in the future.
Our VAT registration services
At PW John and Co Accountants in Weston-super-Mare our chartered certified accountants can assist with the following VAT registration services;
- Advising if you need to, or whether it would be beneficial for you to register for VAT.
- Preparation and submission of your VAT registration and application to HMRC.
- Advising which VAT schemes would be most suitable for your business.
We can also assist with;
- Completion of VAT returns.
- VAT planning.
- Dealing with any contentious disputes that might arise with HMRC in relation to your VAT returns.
- Attendance at VAT inspections.
Find out more
To discuss your requirements in more detail, you can call our team on 01934 412097, email or complete the form on our contact page and we’ll be in touch shortly.
Here are some more resources that you might find useful;
Other Accountancy Services
We offer a comprehensive range of accountancy services for businesses and individual clients. Click the links below to find out more.
GET IN TOUCH